Government House Open Day
Explore the extensive gardens, make a flower crown and be part of creating an ephemeral art piece at Government House Open Day on Sunday, October 8!
Explore the extensive gardens, make a flower crown and be part of creating an ephemeral art piece at Government House Open Day, running in partnership with the 2023 Nature Festival.
Her Excellency the Governor and Mr Rod Bunten are pleased to welcome people of all ages to explore Government House and its grounds on Sunday, 8 October 2023, where entry is free.
From 10am to 4pm, you will be able to see inside the public rooms of Government House, its history and contemporary workings, and ask questions of knowledgeable guides.
Take a garden tour or explore the grounds on your own, taking in the beehives, which produce honey used in the Government House kitchen; the Governor’s Rose Garden, which features a stand of roses celebrating each Governor in our state’s history; the sweeping lawns, vegetable garden and ceremonial plantings, which include a descendent of the Lone Pine at Gallipoli.
Other activities include:
- Make your own flower crown with supplied materials;
- Be part of creating a collective, temporary natural art piece, such as a mandala, using materials from the Government House garden;
- Construct a lantern so you can take part in ‘Light for the Bight’:
- View displays of recent gifts received by the Governor, and the uniforms she wears in her capacity as Chief Scout of Scouts SA and Honorary Air Commodore of the Royal Australian Air Force – No. 24 (City of Adelaide) Squadron;
- Say hello to the South Australia Police horses;
- Enjoy music from the City of Adelaide and Woodville Concert Bands;
- Purchase beverages from Grounds for Growth, run by clients of Novita’s Transition to Work program, and food from Scouts SA.
We look forward to seeing you on 8 October.
For more information, please call (08) 8203 9800 or email [email protected].